Due to the Court closure, Civil Self-Help Services is closed for in-person assistance. Telephone and email assistance is available. Please see the Office Information page for more details. Please check the Court's website for updates at https://www.saccourt.ca.gov/general/coronavirus.aspx"
Petition for Change of Name
Sacramento County residents who want to change their name can use the following Law Help Interactive program to generate the Petition to Change Name packet. Upon filing the petition a hearing will be set between 6-8 weeks.
This program will help fill out the forms needed to ask the court to change your name or the name of a child/children. The program includes a fee waiver application if you need one. The Name Change program will work for:
- An adult who wants to change his or her name;
- One or two parents asking for a name change on behalf of a child or children;
- Family groups (one parent plus up to nine children).
This program is not for you if:
- You are divorced or are getting divorced and want to change your name back to your former name — you can usually do this as part of your divorce case or after a Judgment has been entered.
- You are trying to add or remove the name of a parent on a child’s birth certificate — this must be done through a parentage (paternity) - external link action in family court.
For either of these processes you will need to contact the Family Law Facilitator's Office for this process.
Before Getting Started
You will need the following information before starting the Name Change Petition program:
- The full names as they appear on the current birth certificate (or other legal document) of every person who is seeking a name change
- The name of the newspaper you will use to publish the Order To Show Cause for Change of Name. List of approved publishers.
Steps to Follow:
- Click on Get Started.
- (Optional, but recommended) Sign Up to Save Your Work.
- Answer questions in the interview.
- (Optional, but recommended)Save your answers so you can return at another time.
- When you have completed the interview download and print your forms.
Print your forms as single-sided documents. The court will not take double-sided documents.
Complete the local form Criminal History Addendum.
After you have printed the name change packet, sign the following documents:
- CM-010 - Civil Case Coversheet
- NC-110 - Attachment to Petition for Change of Name
- FW-001 – Request to Waive Court Fees (if applicable)
- CM-010 - Civil Case Cover Sheet - 2 copies
- NC-100 - Petition for Change of Name - 2 copies
- NC-110 - Attachment to Petition for Change of Name - 2 copies
- (this is an attachment to the Petition so the two documents are grouped together.)
- NC-120 – Order to Show Cause for Change of Name / NC-125 – Order to Show Cause for Change of Name and Gender - 3 copies
- NC-130 – Decree Changing Name - 2 copies
- FW-001 - Request to Waive Court Fees (if applicable) - 2 copies
- FW-003 - Order on Court Fee Waiver (if applicable) - 2 copies
Note on assembling packet: To assemble the documents for filing, put the copies of each document just behind the original. Do not staple the original document but do staple the copies. (Example CM-010 Original, Copy, copy; NC-100 and NC110 Originals (unstapled), then copy of NC-100 /NC-110 (Stapled), Copy NC-100 /NC-110 (Stapled))
If your Petition to Change Name is granted, certified copies of the Decree Changing Name will be mailed to the address listed on your paperwork. The second page on the cover sheet has information about the agencies you may need to contact to change your name.
Confidential Safe at Home
To petition the court for change of name under the Address Confidentiality Program (i.e. Safe at Home), please download the Petition for Change of Name Under the Address Confidentiality Program (Safe at Home) Packet (CV/E-142-S).
Change of Gender Marker, Name, and Issuance of New Birth Certificate
ADULT: Complete the following petition: Petition for Change of Name, Recognition of Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate
MINOR: Complete the following petition: Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and For Issuance of New Birth Certificate AND Change of Name
Change of Gender Marker and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (without change of name)
ADULT: Complete the following petition: Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and For Issuance of New Birth Certificate
MINOR: Complete the following petition: Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and For Issuance of New Birth Certificate
If you have further questions about this process, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 916-874-1421.