Civil Self-Help Services (SHS) helps people without lawyers who have questions about simple issues related to a civil case. We can give you general information and help you prepare your own forms in the area of civil law. There is no fee for the help given at SHS.
- Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
- Petitions for Change of Name / Gender Marker
- Form review before filing.
- Help with copying, assembling, and filing documents.
- Claims of Exemption
- Help with motion practice– setting or reserving hearings, deadlines for responsive and reply pleadings, and tentative ruling procedure.
- Asking and answering discovery.
- Information regarding basic civil procedure.
- Service of documents by mail. (you provide postage)
SHS Cannot Help With:
- Family Court issues such as divorce, child custody, or support.
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Elder Abuse Restraining Orders
- Probate matters.
- Unlawful Detainer or Small Claims matters.
- Criminal cases
- Complex civil litigation
- Medical or legal malpractice
- Any matter where you are represented by an attorney.
SHS is currently providing limited in-person document review. Telephone, email, and Zoom assistance is still available. Masks are required to enter all court facilities.
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - Noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Hours may change based on staff availability. SHS will be closed on all court holidays.
You can email our office at email@example.com or call 916) 874-1421**.
Please provide the following information with your request:
- Your Case Number (if you have one)
- Your Name
- Your Zip Code
- Your Question(s)
Please be as detailed as possible. We will not open any attachments sent with your request.
It is our goal to respond to any requests within two working days.
**Civil Self-Help Services provides legal information and assistance to self-represented parties. We assist with civil harassment restraining orders, name changes and gender changes, and general civil procedure filing a complaint, responding to a complaint, and law and motion. We provide information regarding court forms, rules and procedures. We help parties to start their case or determine the next steps in their case. All services are free of charge.