Each violation listed on a citation is assessed a base fine. In addition to the base fine, there are additional assessments added to make up the total fine amount due to the court.
An explanation of the base fine and assessments breakdown is shown below. The total fine amount due can also be increased by priors or points on person's driving record. If Traffic school is allowed, there is an additional $52.00 added to the total amount due.
Additionally, fines can be further enhanced pursuant to Vehicle Code 42009 for committing an offense while driving in a highway construction or maintenance area and pursuant to Vehicle Code 40210 for violations committed in a Safety Enhancement-Double Fine Zone. There are special violations with higher fines for violations committed in a school zone, a business district, a senior center zone, or at a railroad crossing. Note: Violation filed as misdemeanors in Sacramento County require an appearance in court. Bail cannot be forfeited in lieu of appearance.
This breakdown is applicable to Sacramento County and may not apply to other counties.
Base Fine: Set by legislation and the Judicial Council of California.
Penalty Assessment: Penalty assessments are allocated for such items as court and jail facility construction and other items as noted below.
- $10.00 per $10/base fine per PC 1464 goes 70% to State Trial Court Trust Fund; 30% to County General Fund.
- $2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76100 goes to the County Courthouse construction fund.
- $2.50 per $10/base fine per GC 76101 goes to the County Jail Construction Fund.
- $0.50 per $10/base fine per GC 76102 goes to County Automated Fingerprint Fund.
- $2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104 goes to Maddy Emergency Medical Fund (State/County split).
- $3.00 per $10/base fine per GC 70372.(a) goes to State Court Facilities Construction Fund.
- $1.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104.6 goes to the DNA Identification Fund (County/State split).
- $4.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104.7 goes to the DNA Identification Fund (County/State split). (First $1 per $10 effective on violations on/after 07/12/06; additional $2 per $10 effective on violations on/after 06/10/10; $1 per $10 effective on violations on/after 06/27/12.)
- $2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 70372(a) goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund - Immediate and Critical Needs Account.
Night Court Assessment Fee pursuant to Vehicle Code 42006; goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund - Immediate and Critical Needs Account - $1.00.
DMV History fee pursuant to Vehicle Code 40508.6; goes to the court to offset cost of recording and maintaining defendants prior convictions of the Vehicle Code - $10.00.
Twenty percent Criminal Surcharge pursuant to Penal Code 1465.7; goes to the State General Fund. 20% is calculated on the base fine amount.
Court Security Fee pursuant to Penal Code 1465.8; goes to the State Trial Court Trust Fund - $40.00.
Criminal Conviction Assessment pursuant to Government Code 70373; goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund – Immediate and Critical Needs Account (assessed per conviction). - $30.00 (Misdemeanor); $35.00 (Infraction)
Citation Processing Fee per Government Code 295550(c); goes to the County - $10.00.
Emergency Air Medical Transportation Act Fee pursuant to Government Code 76000.10; goes to County Emergency Air Medical Transportation Fund - $4.00.
Parking Violations Processed by the court. These violations must be issued on a Notice to Appear and signed by the violator.- $3.00 per parking violation. Pursuant to SB 857 and Government Code 76000.3, effective 12/19/10; goes to the State Trial Court Trust Fund.
DMV Traffic Violator School Completion Certificate Fee. $3.00 charged per certificate. Pursuant to AB 2499 and Vehicle Code 11208(d), effective 09/01/11; goes to State Department of Motor Vehicles.