Friday, April 20, 2018

Parking Citations

The Traffic Division does not handle parking citations. To pay or contest your parking citation, you must contact the citing Law Enforcement Agency.

Parking Agencies

Appealing Your Parking Decision

If you disagree with the final decision made by the Parking Division, you have the right to an appeal. Contact the court for further information either by phone at 916-875-7800 or in person at the Carol Miller Justice Center. There is a $25.00 fee for each Parking Appeal filed with the court.

Mandatory Appearance

You may have been cited for a violation which requires you to appear in court. If proof is also required, you must bring the proof to your scheduled appearance date. Failure to appear may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and a hold being placed on your driver's license. Mandatory appearance citations cannot be paid without first appearing in court.

Notice to Correct (CHP 281)

This citation is issued by the California Highway Patrol for certain types of correctable violations. You are required to submit proof of correction(s) directly to the California Highway Patrol - external link within 30 days. Failure to comply will result in the citation being referred to the court and a warrant issued for your arrest.


If you were involved in an accident, the Law Enforcement Agency (LEA) determines whether a citation will be issued as a result of their investigation. If the LEA determines a citation is to be issued, you should receive a written notice from the them or the District Attorney's Office (DA). If you do not receive a notice within 30 days from the date of your accident, you may contact the investigating agency for further information.

To obtain a copy of an accident report, contact the investigating law enforcement agency.

Driving Under the Influence (D.U.I.)

Driving Under the Influence (D.U.I) cases are handled at the Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Courthouse in downtown Sacramento. Some other alcohol-related charges may be handled at the Carol Miller Justice Center. If you are in any doubt as to the date, time, or location of your appearance, please call the Traffic Division at 916-875-7800.

Resetting a Court Date

Court dates are not rescheduled. The law enforcement agency will give you a court date at the time the citation is issued. The date should be listed at the bottom of the citation. You must appear or resolve your case on or before the due date.

WARNING: Failure to pay or appear may result in your bail being increased, a Civil Assessment being imposed, a hold being placed on your driver's license, and/or a warrant being issued for your arrest. In addition, the court will deem your failure to appear as an election to proceed with the case by trial by written declaration pursuant to Vehicle Code section 40903.

Law Enforcement Agency

Court Appearance - The officer(s) will not be present at the arraignment (date at the bottom of your citation). If you plea not guilty and a court trial is set, the issuing officer(s) will be subpoenaed to appear at the trial.

Complaints - The court has no jurisdiction over the law enforcement officer(s). You must contact the officer's agency to file a complaint. Links for various agencies are listed below: