Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Court will be closed on Monday, May 30th in observance of Memorial Day

An emergency protective order is issued by a judge at the request of a law enforcement officer where there is a danger of domestic violence, child abuse, abduction or elder abuse. Usually the law enforcement officer has been called out to a person's residence for a disturbance. If the officer feels an emergency protective order is necessary, then the officer will contact the court to speak to a judicial officer.

If an emergency protective order is issued, the protective order is only temporary (up to seven calendar days). If you need an order that will protect you longer, you must come to the William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse at 3341 Power Inn Road from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to file an application for a Domestic Violence or Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse restraining order. The filing counter is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding court holidays. You will need to request a service ticket number from the staff at Reception before 3:00 p.m., so please plan to arrive early.