Section 302 of the Family Law Code - external link allows any person under the age of 18 to obtain a marriage license or register as a domestic partner if:

  • The minor has written consent of one or both parent(s) having legal custody or legal guardian, or has a court order if the minor is a ward or dependent in the Juvenile Court.
  • Court grants an order for permission to marry/register.

In Sacramento County, all applicants for a marriage license or wish to register as a domestic partner, who are under the age of 18, must be interviewed at Family Court Services. Parent(s) or guardian of minor applicant must attend the interview. The purpose of the interview is to assess the readiness of the applicants to marry/register.

The forms used to start a case are available in the following packet: