Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Court will be closed on Wednesday, June 19th in observance of Juneteenth

Community service is an alternative sentence that allows you to perform unpaid work in the community in lieu of fines and/or incarceration. Assigned services are strictly volunteer and not as an employee of the agency.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many hours do I need to complete?

The court will determine the number of hours and time frame to complete the program.

Where do I perform community service?

Community service is completed at non-profit or public organizations such as community food banks, homeless shelters, or churches.

How do I sign up?

If qualified, you will be referred and ordered to report to the Sacramento Sheriff's Department Alternative Sentencing Program - external link. You must bring a copy of your referral form provided by the court, valid photo identification, an $80.00 application fee and a daily participant fee of up to $30.00 per day (based on a 6 hour work day). Payment plans may be considered by the Sheriff's Department. Contact the Sheriff's Department ASP Program for more information.

What if I live in another county?

If you do not reside in Sacramento County, the court may refer and order you to complete community service hours in another county. You must locate a non-profit agency within the County for which you are being referred. The agency you choose must be willing to allow you to participate as a volunteer and must meet the federally recognized non-profit agency guidelines, have a 501(c )(3) tax identification number or otherwise be recognized by the IRS as a non-profit organization.

What do I do when I'm done with my hours?

When you have completed your hours, you must provide the court with proof of completion. Your proof must be in the form of an original type written letter, prepared on letterhead by the agency and signed by the person verifying your hours. Self-certification is not acceptable.

What if I don't complete all my hours?

You may request the court to give you an extension to complete your hours or you may request the court for a re-referral. Failure to complete the hours as ordered may result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest. Talk to your attorney about your options.