Due to the Court closure, Civil Self-Help Services is closed for in-person assistance. Telephone and email assistance is available. Please see the Office Information page for more details. Please check the Court's website for updates at https://www.saccourt.ca.gov/general/coronavirus.aspx"

Services Available

  • Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
  • Petitions for Change of Name / Gender
  • Form review before filing.
  • Help with copying, assembling, and filing documents.
  • Claims of Exemption
  • Help with motion practice– setting or reserving hearings, deadlines for responsive and reply pleadings, and tentative ruling procedure.
  • Asking and answering discovery.
  • Information regarding basic civil procedure.
  • Service of documents by mail
  • Expungement (Service available when Court reopens)

SHS Cannot Help With:

  • Family Court issues such as divorce, child custody, or support.
  • Domestic Violence Restraining Orders.
  • Elder Abuse Restraining Orders.
  • Probate matters.
  • Unlawful Detainer or Small Claims matters.
  • Criminal cases
  • Complex civil litigation.
  • Medical or legal malpractice.
  • Any matter where you are represented by an attorney.
  • Appeals

You can email our office at civilselfhelp@saccourt.ca.gov or call 916-874-1421**.

Please provide the following information with your request:

  • Your Case Number (if you have one)
  • Your Name
  • Your Zip Code
  • Your Question(s)

Please be as detailed as possible. We will not open any attachments sent with your request.

It is our goal to respond to any requests within two working days.

**Civil Self-Help Services provides legal information and assistance to self-represented parties. We assist with civil harassment restraining orders, name changes and gender changes, and general civil procedure filing a complaint, responding to a complaint, and law and motion. We provide information regarding court forms, rules and procedures. We help parties to start their case or determine the next steps in their case. All services are free of charge.

Please note that we are unable to communicate with the judge for you. We are unable to represent you and we cannot act as your attorney.